Whitehaven Egremont & District Credit Union Privacy Notice
The credit union requires and holds certain information from members to either meet legal obligations or to provide services to you. Where you are not able to provide us with this information, we may not be able to open an account for you. Where we request information about you for other reasons, we will ask you for your consent.
How we use your personal information
The credit union may process, transfer and/or share personal information to:
- confirm your identity for legal reasons
- record basic information about you on a register of members
- carry out our contract with you and deal with your account(s) or run any other services we provide to you
- consider any applications made by you,
- recover any debts owed to us
- prevent financial crime
- with your consent maintain our relationship with you including marketing and market research
- prevent financial crime
- carry out internal and external auditing and undertake statistical analysis to help evaluate the future needs of our members and to help manage our business.
Sharing your personal information
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Whenever we share information we do so in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1988 and our own documented procedures. We may share to:
- third parties to help us confirm your identity
- comply with money laundering legislation
- debt recovery agents who may check the information against other databases – private and public – to which they have access to
- any authorities if compelled to do so by law (e.g. to HM Revenue & Customs ).
- insurers, who provide a service or benefits to you or for us in connection with your account(s).
- our suppliers in order for them to provide services to us and/or to you on our behalf
- our account software provider Conaccess and external auditors Lindley Adams and
- other parties in connection with a reorganisation or merger of the credit union’s business
Where we send your information
The credit union does not directly send information to any country outside of the European Economic Area, however, any party receiving personal data may also process, transfer and share it for the purposes set out above and in limited circumstances this may involve sending your information to countries where data protection laws do not provide the same level of data protection as the UK. For example, when complying with international tax regulations we may be required to report personal information to the HM Revenue and Customs which may transfer than information to tax authorities in countries where you or a connected person may be tax resident.
Retaining your information
The credit union will need to hold your information for various lengths of time depending on what we use your data for. We will hold this information for no more than 7 years after you have left the credit union. After that time, any information we hold on you will be destroyed.
We will hold and process your personal information only with your consent. You have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal.
We will aim to respond to your request or query regarding the information we hold on you within one month or provide an explanation of the reason for our delay. Contact address details: 24 James Street, Whitehaven Cumbria CA28 7HZ.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We can update this Privacy Notice at any time and ideally, you should check it regularly at www.wedcu.co.uk. We won’t alert you for every small change, but if there are any important changes to the Notice and or how we use your information we will let you know and where appropriate ask for your consent.
* Whitehaven Egremont & District Credit Union is registered in England and is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register No. 213589. Registered address 24 James Street Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7HZ
**For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) the data controller is Whitehaven Egremont & District Credit Union at 24 James Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7HZ. All Directors, staff & volunteers are subject to continuous training in the importance of Data Protection. The credit union has a Data Protection representative Mrs Wendy Skillicorn (active volunteer Data Controller) who ensures this policy is reviewed, no less than annually and will assist with queries raised by the membership, Directors, staff and volunteers.